In my lightboxes:
- Title: Brian's Picture
- State/Province/Region: North Carolina
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Cataloochee
- Nearest Town: Cove Creek
- Brief Directions: The Cataloochee section of GSMNP is accessed by a dead-end road from the east (NC) edges of the park. It is accessible from either Cove Creek or Big Creek. See the national park maps for details. Either way it is a long ride on gravel/dirt roads but 4x4 is not necessary.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: On our way home from my 18-year old nephew's memorial service, my sons and I decided to make the best of a bad situation with some sightseeing. Our last evening in Great Smoky Mountains NP and we had just finished photographing elk in the Cataloochee section of the park. Driving back out on the single access road we saw a storm brewing in the western sky. Suddenly, this single shaft of sunlight pierced through. I remembered a pulloff about 1/4 mile ahead and we sped up, threw open the doors, and sprinted to the top of the overlook. My oldest son and I started firing away and then, in a fleeting moment, it was gone. It reminded me then and now of my nephew. This has always been "Brian's Picture". Stitched together from several shots using Elements 6.
- Gear: Canon XTi, EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS
This Photo Has Been Viewed 79 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!