In my lightboxes:
- Title: I See You!
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Monterey Peninsula Recreation Trail
- Nearest Town: Pacific Grove
- GPS Longitude: -121.91366
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Black Oystercatcher (Haematopus bachmani)
• A photowalk in 2009—part of Scott Kelby's Worldwide Photowalk—allowed me to visit a popular tourist area in Pacific Grove. I have been to the area several times, but never had one of these oystercatchers come close enough to photograph. Normally, they are either flitting about or resting on rocks several yards further into the bay.
• I was actually attempting to photograph a sea otter that was eating lunch near the shore when I noticed the bird sitting one rock over. After a couple shots, he began getting fussy and starting making some very loud calls. A couple bystanders and photowalkers decided to horn in on the action, causing the bird to fly away.
• This was a very poor time for a photo walk—early afternoon in the middle of summer. It was fortunate that a large cloud briefly obscured the sun, else the shot would have been significantly overexposed.
- Gear: Nikon D70, NIKKOR 70–300 F/4-5.6G
This Photo Has Been Viewed 84 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!