In my lightboxes:
- Title: Big Bird
- State/Province/Region: North Carolina
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Bodie Island Lighthouse
- Nearest Town: Nags Head
- Brief Directions: From Kitty Hawk, take NC 158 South to NC 12 South to the Cape Hattaras National Seashore. About 10 miles south, you will see a tall lighthouse on the right. A sign marks the entrance to the lighthouse.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: This particular location offers something special in several seasons of the year. In late fall and winter, migrating waterfowl often frequent the ponds near the Bodie Lighthouse, which is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. In early fall and spring, long-legged waders, including great egrets, snowy egrets, tri-colored herons and great blue herons are frequently seen. I'd gone for a walk on the boardwalk behind the lighthouse to see if any snow geese or swan had arrived for the winter; instead I found this Snowy Egret. A combination of attitude and a stiff breeze combined to give the "Big Bird" look. Taken 11/22/09 in the afternoon.
- Gear: Nikon D300; Nikkor 200-400mmVR with 1.4 t.c.; ISO 400; f/7.1; 1/640
This Photo Has Been Viewed 287 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!