In my lightboxes:
Chicago Summer Storm Clouds In B&w
- Title: Chicago Summer Storm Clouds In B&w
- State/Province/Region: Illinois
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Adler Planetarium
- Nearest Town: Chicago
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: Storm clouds roll over Chicago on this cool summer day in August. The past 24 hours or so has been amazing for cloud formations here in Chicago so I have been out shooting as much as I can. These clouds are a mix between Cumulus Mediocris and Towering Cumulus Congestus. Cumulus Mediocris clouds are common in the advance of a cold front or in unstable atmospheric conditions such as an area of low pressure. They often grow into the larger Towering Cumulus Congestus which could bring rain, winds and in worse cases, thunder and lightning. Presence of these clouds in the morning or early afternoon indicate significant instability in the atmosphere and often lead to storms later in the day.
A larger version of this photo can be viewed on my website here:
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 16-35 2.8L
This Photo Has Been Viewed 103 times
Black & White
, Sun & Sky
, Scenic Routes
, Historic Locations
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!