In my lightboxes:
- Title: Denali Flow
- State/Province/Region: Alaska
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Denali State Park
- Nearest Town: Talkeetna
- Brief Directions: MP 147 on the Parks Highway (147 road miles north of Anchorage).
- GPS Longitude: -150.13
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Denali (Mt. McKinley), the tallest mountain on the North American continent at 20,320’, creates its own cloud systems. Wind blowing from the south (left-to-right on this photo) forces moist air up the face of the mountain, cooling and forming wild clouds as it gains altitude. On this particular gorgeous mid-August day, my wife & I were camping at Byers Lake (MP 147, Parks Hwy) when these mesmerizing lenticular clouds took shape. They hovered and swayed in the sheer winds like a ghostly kite, best portrayed in black and white.
- Gear: Nikon D700, Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
This Photo Has Been Viewed 375 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!