In my lightboxes:
- Title: Whooping Cranes
- State/Province/Region: Texas
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Aransas NWR
- Nearest Town: Fulton
- Brief Directions: I-37 south out of San Antonio, TX to Corpus Christi then NE on hiway 35 to the town of Fulton. Scour the backroads and docks for birds or follow 35 to Aransas NWR. Be sure to take a birding tour on one of several local outfitters that will take you out on the inter-coastal waterway with great opportunities for seeing lots of birds, including Whoopers!
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Along the shores of St Charles Bay near Goose Island State Park, we spotted this group of cohort Whoopers. Teenagers in effect with no place to belong...they often hang out in groups together until they find a partner. Due to the prolonged drought in Texas the Blue Crabs, a Whooper's favorite winter meal, has been in short supply and it's become more common to see these birds outside of the protective boundaries of Aransas NWR.
- Gear: Nikon D7000 and Nikon 300 f4
This Photo Has Been Viewed 174 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!