In my lightboxes:
Dawn Of The Dream Elk
- Title: Dawn Of The Dream Elk
- State/Province/Region: Wyoming
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Yellowstone
- Nearest Town: Gardiner MT
- Brief Directions: A bull elk alerts to the sound of my shutter in the new dawn light, ready to answer any challenge to his dominance over his harem which had just passed through the tiny meadow. Surrounded by bugling elk- I was in the wrong place at the right time...
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Pre-sunrise capture of a bull elk following cows through the aspens. Steadied on a stump I took the first shot while he was grazing and then he looked right at me and froze. Other bulls were bugling in the growth behind him, and behind me, making the shot a nape of the neck tingler. Of course my first shots were at almost 500mm until I pulled back to 50 to catch the scene instead of just the beast. This picture brings every sensation from the smell of pine in the cold air to the feel of the crumbly stump as I listened to the bugles and brushing of large bodies through the underbrush.. definitely my favorite picture of the year.
- Gear: Sony A560 Sigma 50-500mm
This Photo Has Been Viewed 180 times
, Natural Wonders
, Historic Locations
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!