In my lightboxes:
- Title: Winter's View
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Yosemite National Park
- Nearest Town: Yosemite National Park
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: One photo that has been high on my bucket list was a snowy Yosemite photo. I have been keeping an eye on the recent storms in the Eastern Sierras and a *huge* one hit over Christmas weekend, dropping over 7 feet of snow in one day in some areas! I rented a 4 wheel drive vehicle and drove into Yosemite just as the storm cleared. I arrived at Yosemite to see the entire place covered in white! It was insanely gorgeous. After scouting several locations I decided that Ansel Adams had it right and I found my way backto Tunnel View for sunset. I was not disappointed! Some low fog rolled into the valley, the trees stayed covered in white, and a slit of light made its way onto El Capitan for a beautiful view! To my surprise, my favorite image from the day happened to be one I had not expected at all. An almost full-moon rose just after the sun set, right during blue hour, and everyone raced around to capture the moon rising over Half Dome. I threw on my 80-200mm lens until Alan mentioned, "hey, try going wide." By this point I was cold, tired, and ready to get home before the roads turned awful so I fired 1 quick shot, packed up my bags and went to warm up in the car. When I got home I realized how right Alan was ... I liked this shot more than all my others!
- Gear: Nikon D800 w/Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S
This Photo Has Been Viewed 391 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!