In my lightboxes:
Alpenglow, Mt. Hood, Or
- Title: Alpenglow, Mt. Hood, Or
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Cascade Range
- Nearest Town: Portland
- Description: This image was made on a solo winter mountaineering trip up Oregon's Mt. Hood in December 2006. The amazing thing about a sunrise in the mountains is that even the snow under your feet turns pink with alpenglow. This particular morning, the pinkish cast was quite surreal, and I took a short break from my uphill slog to capture a few images. This photograph has some poignancy for me; only a few days after my climb, three experienced mountaineers were reported missing on Mt. Hood. Many may remember the media frenzy that resulted from their disappearance, and ultimately, their deaths. I think of them every time I look at this image.
- Gear: Nikon F6, Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8, Fuji Velvia 100F
This Photo Has Been Viewed 163 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!