In my lightboxes:
Winter In The Palouse
- Title: Winter In The Palouse
- State/Province/Region: Washington
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Whitman County
- Nearest Town: Steptoe
- Brief Directions: South of Spokane, Washington about 50 miles on US 95. If coming in winter you'll definitely need a 4x4 with high ground clearance... no joke!
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Winter in the Palouse
Whitman County, Washington
December 28, 2012
I have captured many images from atop Steptoe Butte in early summer when the fields are filled with the verdant tones of wheat. Its amazing to see this same place asleep under a blanket of snow. The hills seem to roll forever in this wonderful place and are filled with such serenity this time of the year... so quite, so peaceful.
When I arrived very late in the afternoon on Thursday, 12/27 fog had completely engulfed the butte and surrounding area. Driving up the narrow, winding road (that has no guardrails) in near total white-out conditions was no fun.
I returned the next morning and the fog had lifted! Driving was still quite challenging but I made it nearly all the way to the top. The views below all covered in snow were nothing short of spectacular!
Steptoe Butte rises some 1,000 feet above the surrounding plain and affords spectacular views of the Palouse for a hundred miles in all directions.
- Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III ,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 1.4 II Tele-extender, Gitzo Tripod 3541, Arca Swiss Mono ballhead, Canon Intervelometor
This Photo Has Been Viewed 217 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!