In my lightboxes:
Pelican In Motion
- Title: Pelican In Motion
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Southern California
- Nearest Town: Ventura
- Brief Directions: Ventura, California is about 75 miles northwest of Los Angeles on Pacific Coast Highway
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: I was photographing Brown Pelicans along the Pacific Ocean coastline near Ventura California when I decided to try something different. Because the pelicans were flying around a lagoon just inland from the ocean in a repeatable pattern, I was able to set up with my tripod to get the shot I wanted. I wanted to capture a blurred motion of their wings while the body was still. I set up aperture at f36 and shutter speed at 1/10 second. After a few test shots to check exposure, I now focused on the pelicans coming in for a landing about 100 feet in front on me. At 1/10 second, the body did blur slighty but I got the affect I was looking for in the wings.
- Gear: Canon 5D Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6IS
This Photo Has Been Viewed 54 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!