In my lightboxes:
- Title: The Boys Of Summer
- State/Province/Region: Utah
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: ZIon National Park
- Nearest Town: springdale, UT
- Description: As I was leaving the Narrows hike in Zion National Park, this beautiful canyon light caught my eye. Even though I was tired, wet, sandy and my feet had taken a beating, I had to photograph this. I dropped my gear and set up my camera and tripod.
As soon as I started to shoot, I noticed I had company. Rounding the corner, came a large group of very young boy scouts. At first they didn't see me but then a few noticed I was set up and pointing my camera in their direction. Of course they all started "falling" in the water. As they passed by me, they would impishly ask "Did you get a picture of me falling?"
Soon, my little pool of perfect light looks like something out of a Three Stooges movie.
Finally, several of the troop leader "dads" pulled the jokesters out of my line of fire and apologized. I didn't mind at all. I found the whole scene incredibly amusing. From a sociological stand point, there was a lot going on! All of this, because some girl was armed with a camera. (Won't be the first time they'll make fools of themselves in front of the opposite sex)
The water is now calm and the beautiful glow of the canyon wall is perfect and casting it's magic on the Virgin River. It appears isolated and harmonious. All is right with the world.
What is missing from the photograph is the little group of 30 or so little men now standing behind me. After I finished, they all walked up
and looked at the final shot, then carried on with their hike, as men do.
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II
This Photo Has Been Viewed 77 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!