In my lightboxes:
- Title: Lyell Twilight
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Yosemite National Park
- Nearest Town: Tuolumne Meadows Village
- Brief Directions: Hike south from Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite National Park along the John Muir Trail about 8 miles, where Kuna Creek joins the Tuolumne River.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Having hiked about 8 miles into Lyell Canyon from Tuolumne Meadows I noticed beautiful Kuna Creek cascading down the eastern flank of the canyon. Thinking the creek might provide an interesting viewpoint for a photo, I waded across the (freezing) Tuolumne River, battled my way through a surprisingly thick aspen grove, and scrambled up a few hundred feet of talus to find this spot, where I had a fantastic view of the Lyell Canyon to the north, and Mt. Lyell (highest peak in Yosemite), Mt. Maclure, and Simmons Peak to the south. The clouds had actually disappeared in the late afternoon but swept back in in force to catch the warm tones of the high country twilight. Taken in July, 2013
- Gear: Nikon D7000, Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens, Induro Tripod, Acratech Ballhead, Lee GND Filters
This Photo Has Been Viewed 382 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!