In my lightboxes:
- Title: Last Light On Kettle Pond
- State/Province/Region: Vermont
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Groton State Forest
- Nearest Town: Groton
- Brief Directions: You can enter Groton State Forest either from Marshfield to the north or Groton to the south. When entering from Marshfield, take Route 232, heading south for approximately 6 miles until you see the Owl’s Head marker on your left. If arriving from Groton, follow Route 232 north for about 7 miles past Kettle Pond to the marked entrance.
- GPS Longitude: 44
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Owl's Head is in Groton State Forest, Vermont. A dirt road takes you to the top of the mountain, from where you can look down on Kettle Pond. This image was made after sunset in early October, as the last light of day cast its reflection upon the calm waters of the pond.
The road to the top of the mountain is gated and open only between 10am and sunset. To avoid hiking down in the dark, I stopped by the ranger’s house earlier in the day to ask if the gate could remain open an extra hour after sunset. She very nicely obliged, allowing a few of us photographers to remain on top of the maintain until dusk.
- Gear: Nikon D800, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 88 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!