In my lightboxes:
- Title: America's Mountain
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Garden of the Gods
- Nearest Town: Colorado Springs
- Brief Directions: Garden of the Gods is on the west side of Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak is a few miles west of the city where the Pikes Peak Highway starts at Cascade, Colorado.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: America's Mountain, a name that has been given to Pikes Peak, is a true icon. I photographed this image of the Peak from Garden of the Gods, another iconic place, to include Kissing Camels Rock. In April, 2009 when I took this picture there was still considerable snow on the higher mountains in Colorado and at 14,110 (some say 14,115) feet, Pikes Peak certainly qualified. The iconic heritage of Pikes Peak has a great history. Katharine Lee Bates wrote "America the Beautiful" after a trip up this mountain and who has not heard of or seen travelers bearing signs "Pikes Peak or Bust!"? The Pikes Peak Hill Climb motor race and the Pikes Peak Marathon are both summer classics.
- Gear: Sony DSLR A-700 Camera, Sony DT 18-200 F3.5-6.3 Zoom Lens, Tristar Circular Polarizing Filter, Ledvon 2540Q Tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 250 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!