In my lightboxes:
- Title: Enchanted Canyon
- State/Province/Region: Utah
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Zion National Park
- Nearest Town: Springdale
- Brief Directions: From the town of Springdale, UT follow the Canyon Road ( or take the free shuttle) to the Temple of Sinawava. Follow the walkway to the Virgin River and follow the river and get ready to be amazed.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Zion's Virgin River trek is one of the most photographed and iconic sections of all of the National Parks. Where else is the trail the river with such beautiful sandstone walls towering above for such a great distance? The reflected light filtering down the red rock cliffs creates excellent photo opportunities around mid-day, but the sky is usually omitted in images as its brightness can overwhelm the scene. I elected to include a small slice of the blue sky along with the towering cliffs to add a sense of scale to this shot. The trees clinging to the cliff side add scale but also show how trees impossibly eek out an existence on the rock walls.
A single RAW image process x 2 for shadow and highlight detail then manually blended.
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, 17-40L, B&W polarizing filter, Manfrotto tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 227 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!