In my lightboxes:
- Title: Green Spout
- State/Province/Region: Virginia
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Great Falls, Virginia
- Nearest Town: Washington, DC
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: This picture was taken at Great Falls Park, Virginia. Technically the Kayaker is in Maryland. Great Falls is about 10 miles out of Washington, DC and is well known by Kayakers. The falls are considered class 5+ or extreme. The kayaker in this picture was going over a falls they call the spout on the Virginia side. The spout was about a 20 foot drop on the day I took this. The river takes on a green color at times. I climbed out on the rocks to get a better position to take the shot. This stretch of the Potomac is extremely dangerous. About a month ago, two days before I took this picture, a young lady kayaker drowned about 50 feet away from this shot. Two days before that, two fisherman drowned feet from that. The kayaker in this picture was with three others that were making their way to the spot where the young lady died for a memorial service. They were all dressed in black.
- Gear: Canon 7D,Canon 70-200mm 2.8 L
This Photo Has Been Viewed 105 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!