In my lightboxes:
- Title: The Light From Above
- State/Province/Region: Utah
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: zIon National Park
- Nearest Town: Springdale, UT
- Description: I've been an avid solo hiker for a long time. Fortunate to live close to and hike and photoraph often in some of the most beautiful southwest locations; Sedona, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley. Just this past year, I've explored a bit around Southern Utah trying to hit every season. Having said that, nothing prepared me for the unbelievable beauty of Zion, especially the Narrows hike. 11 miles of hiking mostly upstream in the Virgin River. No trail, just water, sometimes waist high and slippery boulders. Early in the hike, on a cold dark morning as the canyon walls narrowed and the hike became almost in the dark, I wondered if I had perhaps taken on too much for a solo hike As the first rays of the sunrise finally peaked from directly overhead and bounced off the canyon walls I was motived to keep going by sheer excitement. These are the moments I live for as a photographer. There is noting more satisfying than exploring and researching a new place, hoping in the SUV and being free for days to just wander. I don't need anyone to hold my hand!!
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4 Lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 382 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!