In my lightboxes:
- Title: Potomac Twilight
- State/Province/Region: Maryland
- Country: United States
- Nearest Town: Washington, DC
- Brief Directions: 10 miles North / North West of Washington, DC
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: I took this picture a hour ago or so during twilight. I did it with the OP assignment "70-200mm" in mind. I grabbed my camera with a 70-200 mm 2.8 l l lens for the job. I checked the water levels on the Potomac River and knew where Kayakers would be. So, this afternoon, I went down to the river for some fun shots. The Idea behind this picture is compression. I wanted to get the subject at a distance from the lens and bring the foreground, a wall of water, and the background ,the falls, tight into the subject. I was down in a gorge and the light was low. I had to keep my f/stop as wide open as I could get to capture the movement of the water and subject. I was getting around 500th of a second out of it. I bumped my ISO to around 200 and had to pull my polarizer. Technically the picture was taken from Virginia but the water, falls and Kayaker are in Maryland.
- Gear: Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm l 2.8 ii
This Photo Has Been Viewed 742 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!