In my lightboxes:
- Title: Summer's Blanket
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Marin Headlands
- Nearest Town: San Francisco, CA
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: The night before this particular morning I had checked both the weather and the webcams and things looked promising. A friend messaged me as soon as I had woken up: "get up here, it's going to be amazing! EVERYONE is coming!" The fog on this morning was pretty much a dream come true! The fog was just above the bridge deck when I arrived and throughout the sunrise I watched the fog move lower and lower. By 8am the fog was completely gone! I photographed the bridge from several locations on the road to Hawk Hill and had so many great photos that I had trouble deciding which was my favorite. I chose a photo from the blue hour of sunrise (which is really only about 10 minutes), when the sun was still somewhat low and the sky had purple tones to match the fog. A couple minutes later and the sky started to turn light blue, orange, and red, washing out the lights of the city in the background. I experimented with different aspect ratios of either 2:1 or 3:1, and found that a slower shutter smoothed out the fog while a faster shutter left more texture and bumps. Ultimately I chose quicker shutter speed of 10 seconds and a 2:1 crop so that I could include as much of the amazingly textured fog as I could
- Gear: Nikon D800 w/Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S
This Photo Has Been Viewed 167 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!