In my lightboxes:
Fresh Snowfall At Mono Lake
- Title: Fresh Snowfall At Mono Lake
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Eastern Sierra
- Nearest Town: Lee Vining
- Brief Directions: From Lee Vining, go south on Highway 395. Turn east on 120 toward Benton, then turn left to Mono Lake.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Seeing Mono Lake under several inches of fresh snowfall was amazing. I drove south from Lee Vining before dawn, and it was snowing. The only other vehicle on the Hwy 395 was a plow. The next two roads I traveled weren't plowed, but I had scouted the area the day before when there was no snow and knew my little Honda could make it without a stop to put on my chains. No one else was at South Tufa Beach, and the silence was spiritual. Not a footprint was to be seen. There was no colorful sunrise, but I didn't need it. The clouds and wintry blues showed exactly what the scene felt like: cold, isolated, and beautiful.
- Gear: Olympus E-30 camera, Zuiko f/2.8 digital lens 12-60mm, Manfrotto tripod and ballhead
This Photo Has Been Viewed 96 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!