In my lightboxes:
After The Crimson Flood
- Title: After The Crimson Flood
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Colorado Springs
- Nearest Town: Colorado Springs
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: No sooner do the earth-scorching wildfires of Colorado die down, our state is ravaged by torrential rains. The devastating floods have quite literally changed the face of our landscapes, washing away roads, bridges, homes and even entire communities. Mother Nature sometimes seems to have an ironic sense of timing. Yet she also leaves traces of great beauty in the aftermath of such disasters. While the travesty has brought chaos for many residents, there lies a certain serenity in the silver linings.
This image was captured at our iconic Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. This lake has not existed since our last flood, over 20 years ago (the entire era of digital photography had not yet been born!).
Iron rich soil produces red sediment which gives the lake a fiery appearance. The calm morning yielded a flawless reflection as sun streaked across the water. This image will live as a reminder that the natural world is always changing.
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II. 24-70F2.8L
This Photo Has Been Viewed 130 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!