In my lightboxes:
- Title: Diving Salmon
- State/Province/Region: Washington
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Ballard Locks
- Nearest Town: Seattle
- Brief Directions: Near the Ballard Bridge in Ballard, (Seattle) Washington
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: The major runs of the summer are done and now the stragglers of early autumn make their way from the salt water in the Puget Sound to the fresh water of Lake Washington, and on to their spawning grounds inland. Although the fish ladders of the locks are nearby, some salmon end up taking an easier path via the locks, and probably have much more energy left over, and combined with their instinct to jump, put on a show in the waters of the locks. No matter how fast you think you can shoot, you end up getting just a splash. You have to focus on just one area, be patient, be quick, and have some luck.
- Gear: Canon 5D MKIII, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 242 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!