In my lightboxes:
- Title: Winged Migration
- State/Province/Region: North Carolina
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge
- Nearest Town: Plymouth
- Brief Directions: Take highway 45 from Plymouth, NC for about 28 miles.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: This picture is on Lake Pongo in the Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge. These are migrating snow geese blasting up off the lake. In the foreground are Tundra Swans. These geese migrate about 3000 miles from the Arctic Ocean. They feed on grain in the farm lands and then return to the lake. We arrived at the lake before sunrise, as the blast-off usually occurs right at sunrise. This day they decided to wait until mid-morning before they all ascended into the sky.
- Gear: Nikon D700 D, Nikkor 80-400
This Photo Has Been Viewed 92 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!