In my lightboxes:
- Title: Winter's Solitude
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Mt. Bachelor Ski Resort
- Nearest Town: Bend
- Brief Directions: From Bend, go west on Century Drive. Century Drive becomes Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway. Mt. Bachelor is approximately 22 miles south-west of Bend.
- Description: I had envisioned photographing this scene after a winter storm. The day after a storm dropped about a foot of fresh snow in the mountains, I grabbed my gear and once the road to this area was plowed, I headed out. I parked my vehicle at a snow park close to Mt. Bachelor and began to hike toward the Three Sisters Mountains. After about a mile I found this spot. I liked the lines in the snow, and thought the foreground added a feeling of solitude. However, I decided to include a few foreground trees that were partly buried in snow, to add balance to the scene. The wind was blowing hard, making it bitterly cold, but I waited for the setting sun to create an alpenglow moment before shooting. I used a polarizer and Fujichrome Velvia film to emphasize the vivid alpenglow color.
- Gear: Nikon F100, Fujichrome Velvia, Manfrotto Tripod, Manfrotto Pan-Head, Polarizer
This Photo Has Been Viewed 441 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!