In my lightboxes:
- Title: Wilson's Window
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Lizard Head Wilderness, Dolores County
- Nearest Town: Telluride, Colorado
- Brief Directions: From Denver, Take Interstate 70 west to Grand Junction, go south on Route 50 to Montrose. Continue south on Route 550 to Ridgway then turn right onto Route 62. Follow this to Route 145 and turn left. Follow the signs into Telluride.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Winter in Telluride provides a clarity and simplicity to showcase a stunning landscape. Mount Wilson is an iconic peak near Telluride and a challenge to photograph in a unique way. I found this vantage point while cross country skiing, and returned when textures were maximized with side lighting. To get low to the snow, I removed my skis and dug a snow pit, positioning the camera at near snow level for this perspective. While immediately recognizable as Wilson Peak, I felt the aspen and snow created a refreshing sense of place to an often photographed location.
- Gear: Canon 30D, Canon 17-40L, Gitzo tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 94 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!