In my lightboxes:
Milky Way Over The Storm - Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado
- Title: Milky Way Over The Storm - Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Nearest Town: Alamosa
- Brief Directions: Hike to the top of High Dune and begin down the back ridge but do not descend all the way. There is a shelf on the left hand side where I photographed on the night of a new moon in September.
- GPS Longitude: 37.749722
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Getting to see the milky way is a rare thing for me. So every time I see it, it takes my breath away. I chose this specific time of year to be in Great Sand Dunes National Park to maximize my milky way viewing potential. And boy did my research and timing paid off! To the west of my location in the dune field, a late afternoon storm was still brewing over distant Alamosa and to my benefit, the low, distant clouds blocked a majority of the local light pollution. This allowed the milky way to shine brighter than I've ever seen!
- Gear: Nikon D7000, Nikkor 24mm
This Photo Has Been Viewed 157 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!