In my lightboxes:
Sunrise In The Sangre De Cristo - Sangre De Cristo Wilderness, Colorado
- Title: Sunrise In The Sangre De Cristo - Sangre De Cristo Wilderness, Colorado
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Nearest Town: Crestone
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: At 530am we set off from Willow Lake in the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness in Colorado. Our goal for the day was to summit Challenger Point and Kit Carson before 11am. And by the gloomy looks of the valley locked clouds, I was admittedly unsure of this accent.
After trudging nearly a third of the way up the initial scree slope my doubts were erased with a mesmerizing sunny flare that filled the valley. At first I was unsure of what was occurring just behind me. The accent was dark and our head lamps light the way but gradually out of the darkness an orange glow illuminated our slope. Fortunate was on our side to have seen the sun rays pear just above the mountains but not too high as to be blotted out by the swirling cloud deck.
With my doubts expunged, we forged ahead and reached Challenger Point before calling it a day. This hike is well worth the effort!
- Gear: Nikon D7000, Nikon 18-105mm, ISO 250, f/5.6, 1/60 sec
This Photo Has Been Viewed 157 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!