In my lightboxes:
Sunrise At Maroon Lake
- Title: Sunrise At Maroon Lake
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Maroon Bells Wilderness
- Nearest Town: Aspen
- Brief Directions: Colorado 82 East from Glenwood Springs to Maroon Creek Rd. Follow Maroon Creek Rd to Maroon Lake parking lot. Note: after 9am, you must take public transit. Park at Aspen Highlands parking lot to pick up shuttle to Maroon Lake.
- GPS Longitude: 39.098
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: The Maroon Bells, located outside of Aspen, Colorado are the most photographed location in the state of Colorado. During fall colors, it is not unusual to have 150 or 200 photographers lining Maroon Lake an hour prior to twilight. Fall colors 2012, I arrived at the parking lot 90 minutes before twilight, made my way to the prime spot and set up. Twilight came and it did not appear that I would get any clouds to add character. A couple minutes before sunrise the cloud in upper left rolled in.
This particular morning, all the photographers were blessed with absolute calm. More often than not, winds howl at Maroon Lake and getting the mirrored glassy water shot is nearly impossible.
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 16-35/2.8 II, LEE Circular Polarizer, RRS BH-55-LR & Gitzo GT3541LS
This Photo Has Been Viewed 97 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!