In my lightboxes:
Kalalau Valley - Kauai, Hi
- Title: Kalalau Valley - Kauai, Hi
- State/Province/Region: Hawaii
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Kalalau Valley
- Nearest Town: Waimea
- Brief Directions: The Kalalau Valley located on the northwest side of the island of Kauai, Hawaii.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: The Kalalau Valley is located on the northwest side of the island of Kauai in the state of Hawaii. The valley is located in the Na Pali Coast State Park and houses the beautiful Kalalau Beach. The Na Pali Coast is very rugged and is inaccessible to automobiles. The only legal ways to access the valley are by kayak or by hiking the Kalalau Trail.
The valley is renowned for its natural beauty; it is surrounded by lush cliffs more than 2,000 feet high. The valley bottom is broad and relatively flat, with an accessible region about 2 miles long and a half mile wide. The abundant sun and rain provides an ideal environment for flora and fauna. Many native Hawaiians lived in the valley into the 20th century, farming taro from a vast complex of terraced fields. Today, its designation as a state park forbids anyone from residing there.
- Gear: Nikon D600
This Photo Has Been Viewed 199 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!