In my lightboxes:
Balanced Rock At Sunrise - Garden Of The Gods, Colorado Springs, Co
- Title: Balanced Rock At Sunrise - Garden Of The Gods, Colorado Springs, Co
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Garden Of The Gods
- Nearest Town: Colorado Springs, CO
- Brief Directions: Balanced Rock At Sunrise - Garden Of The Gods - Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Balanced Rock At Sunrise - Garden Of The Gods - Colorado Springs, Colorado
Garden of the Gods is a public park located in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA at the foot of Pike's Peak. It was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1971.
The Garden of the Gods red rock formations were created during a geological upheaval along a natural fault line millions of years ago. Archaeological evidence shows that prehistoric people visited Garden of the Gods about 1330 BC. About 250 BC Native American people camped in the park. They are believed to have been attracted to wildlife and plant life in the area and used overhangs created by the rocks for shelter. There are many native peoples who have reported a connection to Garden of the Gods, including Ute, Comanche, Apache, Kiowa, Shoshone, Cheyenne, Pawnee and Lakota people.
- Gear: Nikon D600
This Photo Has Been Viewed 188 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!