In my lightboxes:
Spider Rock Snow
- Title: Spider Rock Snow
- State/Province/Region: Arizona
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Canyon De Chelly
- Nearest Town: Chinle
- Brief Directions: Snow on Spider Rock from Spider Rock overlook
- GPS Longitude: 109
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Spider Rock is an 800-foot (240 m) sandstone monolith at the junction of Canyon de Chelly and the smaller Monument Canyon. According to traditional Navajo beliefs, the taller of the two spires is the home of Spider Woman, who lives at its top. Spider Woman (also known as Spider Grandmother) is the creator of the world in Native American religions and myths. They tell how she made the stars in the sky, by taking a web she had spun, lacing it with dew, and throwing it into the sky, where the dew became the stars.
Another rock on the far side of the Canyon is known as Speaking Rock. Naughty Navajo children are told that Speaking Rock reports the names of bad boys and girls to Spider Woman, whereupon she descends and carries the offender up to her lair at the top of Spider Rock. The white rocks at the top are said to be the bleached bones of children who didn’t listen to their parents’ warnings!
Today Spider Rock is one of the most photographed of the Canyon de Chelly’s features (along with the White House Ruins) and has been used in several TV adverts. It marks the final point on the South Rim Drive
- Gear: Canon 5D MKII, 24-105mm
This Photo Has Been Viewed 211 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!