In my lightboxes:
Winter Storm In The Grand Canyon
- Title: Winter Storm In The Grand Canyon
- State/Province/Region: Arizona
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Grand Canyon National Park (south rim)
- Nearest Town: Williams
- Brief Directions: Yavapai Point is on the south rim of the Grand Canyon, just east of the Grand Canyon Village, where there are hotels and restaurants. It is easily accessible by car or by foot along the rim trail.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: The light and clouds change constantly immediately after an early December 2011) snow storm in the Grand Canyon -- a remarkable change compared with the often cliched blue skies of summer. I shot hundreds of photographs before, during, and after the storm, and this particular image (in both black and white and color versions) is my favorite -- because it is so reminiscent of turn-of-the century pictorialist photographs and painters. The view is looking to the west/northwest from Yavapai Point the morning after the storm left 4-6 inches of snow on the rim. As the storm was breaking up, clouds swirled above the canyon and within it.
- Gear: Nikon D80, 18-55 mm lens, mounted on a tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 218 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!