In my lightboxes:
Split Rock Sunrise
- Title: Split Rock Sunrise
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Tioga Lake, Yosemite National Park
- Nearest Town: Lee Vining
- Brief Directions: Tioga Lake is near the Tioga Pass entrance station to Yosemite National Park.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: I generally try to take a zen-like approach to my photography where I calmly survey the scene before me, take my time to find a composition, and then wait for the good light to hit. That was absolutely not the case on this cold October morning. After a 2 am departure and a 4.5 hour manic drive to Yosemite, my friends and I arrived at Tioga pass as the new day was dawning. Leaping out of the warm car into the 15°F chill of daybreak at 10,000 feet, we sprinted down to Tioga Lake, scrambling to find compositions as night turned to day. I was lucky enough to spy this beautiful crack in a rock out in the lake. Gingerly placing a few stepping stones before me, I made my way out to the split rock as the sky filled up with gorgeous light.
- Gear: Nikon D300s, Manfrotto Tripod, Acratech Ballhead, Lee soft GND filters
This Photo Has Been Viewed 171 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!