In my lightboxes:
Sandhill Crane Gets A Mouthful Of Feathers
- Title: Sandhill Crane Gets A Mouthful Of Feathers
- State/Province/Region: New Mexico
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: South Central New Mexico
- Nearest Town: Socorro
- Brief Directions: Bosque del Apache is located about 90 miles south of Albuquerque, NM, or about 15 miles south of Socorro just outside the small town of San Antonio.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Each winter, thousands of sandhill cranes, as well as geese, ducks and other migratory birds gather at the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge near Socorro, New Mexico to take advantage of the well-maintained wetlands.
Cranes packed into close quarters will often peck or bite each other when they think their neighbor is getting too close for comfort. This particular crane was a little tired of all that togetherness.
- Gear: Nikon D300, Nikon 600mm f4, 1/640 at f5.
This Photo Has Been Viewed 360 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!