In my lightboxes:
Winter Storm And Horseshoe Bend
- Title: Winter Storm And Horseshoe Bend
- State/Province/Region: Arizona
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Glen Canyon Recreation Area (NPS)
- Nearest Town: Page, AZ
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: A previous shoot in the morning turned out a dud due to full sun at an angle that only lit up portions of this incredible feature that has been carved out by the Colorado River. Later in the day an approaching winter storm provided another opportunity and created a vast degree of better light than before. Using a three stop hard edge filter allowed me to keep the clouded sky in balance with the much darker canyon that makes up Horseshoe Bend. The problem I had was with the approaching snow storm. The wind at the time was hollowing, which blew the falling snow from the canyon floor and caused it to come up the canyon wall right into my optics causing me to have to clean them between each shot. The Page area in summer is known for its very hot temperatures in summer, but in February, winter carries with it finger chilling cold, as when this image was taken.
- Gear: Nikon D300 11-17mm Tokina 2.8 lens Manfrotto XproB tripod and three way head
This Photo Has Been Viewed 571 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!