In my lightboxes:
Denali Summit Ridge
- Title: Denali Summit Ridge
- State/Province/Region: Alaska
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Denali National Park
- Nearest Town: Talkeetna
- Brief Directions: It's pretty straightforward really: Go to Talkeetna. Get a ski plane to drop you off on the Kahiltna Glacier. Spend 2.5 weeks climbing the mountain- dragging 80 pound sleds up the glacier, ascending fixed ropes, walking ridges, enduring -30F temps. Try not to get frostbite or fall in a cravasse or off the edge of a cliff. Wait for a clear day, then go for the summit. Snap a photo without freezing your fingers off. Get down without dying or freezing your toes off. Hope the weather is good enough for the ski plane to pick you up from basecamp. Drink beers in Talkeetna.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: I took this shot from the summit of Denali (Mt. McKinley) in 2009. In the foreground, you can see climbers ascending the summit ridge toward the 20,320 foot summit.... the highest point in North America. In the background, you can see 17,400 ft. Mt Foraker, part of the Kahiltna Glacier, and the expansive Alaska Range.
- Gear: Canon
This Photo Has Been Viewed 414 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!