In my lightboxes:
Deep Into Winter
- Title: Deep Into Winter
- State/Province/Region: Ohio
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Dayton
- Nearest Town: Centerville
- Brief Directions: Southeast of Dayton, at the end of Wilmington Pike a few miles south of the I-675 exit.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: January in Ohio is not known as a location for scenic landscape photography, however, I've learned it's just a matter of where - and when - you look. The sunsets can be spectacular and colorful, but very brief. I'm fortunate to live very close to one of the best parks in Dayton's Five Rivers MetroParks system - Sugarcreek MetroPark. It is my favorite location for sunsets, particularly during autumn and winter. I have a wide, tall grass prairie positioned perfectly for the setting sun.
Earlier in the afternoon I saw the conditions coming together for a dynamic sunset. I braved 20 degree weather with camera bag and tripod and was rewarded with this scene. Three raw exposures about two and half stops apart for HDR in Photomatix Pro followed by targeted adjustments using Nik Viveza 2.
- Gear: Canon 1D Mark III; Canon 17-35mm f2.8 L lens, Kirk ballhead, Bogen 3021 tripod, Canon cable release, Photomatix Pro, Apple Aperture and Nik Viveza 2
This Photo Has Been Viewed 276 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!