In my lightboxes:
Rime Ice On Mt. Rogers
- Title: Rime Ice On Mt. Rogers
- State/Province/Region: Virginia
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Fairwood Valley
- Nearest Town: Troutdale, VA
- Brief Directions: Take US 58 west from Galax, VA to Troutdale, VA, then turn left on Fairwood Valley Road and travel about 10 miles until looking to the left, you see Mt. Rogers. Mt. Rogers is only accessible by trail and is the highest peak in Virginia.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Rime ice looks like snow, but it is actually formed when water droplets in clouds or fog freeze to the trees. It often forms only on the windward side of mountains when clouds sweep over the ridge. The contrast in this image made for an interesting photographic opportunity.
- Gear: Canon EOS 40D with EFS 17-85mm lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 255 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!