In my lightboxes:
Mono Lake Moonrise
- Title: Mono Lake Moonrise
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Toiyabe National Forest
- Nearest Town: Lee Vining
- Brief Directions: This was taken near the Old Marina viewpoint on the shore of Mono Lake, just north of the town of Lee Vining.
- Description: I arrived at my target site on Mono Lake with minutes to spare. My DeLorme PN-20 GPS has a Sun/Moon feature that confirmed the moon rise time, but it also shows a compass with the Sun and moon on it, so I could point the sun symbol towards the setting sun and there was an arrow pointing to the approximate place on the horizon where the moon would come up. I walked a couple of hundred yards until I could line that forecasted rise spot up with the tufa limestone structures that I wanted to shoot.
The moon started to peek out over the hills right on time, and I adjusted my tripod position maybe 6-12 feet to place the moon where I wanted it in the scene. I started with a 70-200mm lense and gradually worked my way up to a wide angle lens as the sunset darkened and spread across the sky.
- Gear: Canon EOS 40D
This Photo Has Been Viewed 1045 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!