In my lightboxes:
White Sands Sunset With Yucca
- Title: White Sands Sunset With Yucca
- State/Province/Region: New Mexico
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: White Sands National Monument
- Nearest Town: Alamogordo
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: A cold, cloudy, blustery December afternoon in White Sands National Monument had all but emptied the park, but something told me that if I waited, something spectacular might happen later. While I waited, I began scouting locations and found this tall, solitary Yucca plant and chose a camera position that would allow me to frame the Yucca against the setting sun. Then I waited there for about an hour as sunset time approached. Sure enough, the clouds began breaking apart and allowed the sun to light up the sky in a spectacular display that I will never forget. It was all the more special for the peace and solitude of the moment. Fortunately, I had my flash with me and was able to use it off-camera to balance out the lighting of the scene. I will never forget the amazing feeling of reward I had as I packed up and headed out of the park that evening.
- Gear: Canon 60D, Canon 10-22mm EF-S lens, off-camera Camera Speedlight 580ex
This Photo Has Been Viewed 316 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!