New 17-inch printer replaces the popular Stylus Pro 3800
LONG BEACH, Calif. – Sept. 1, 2009 – Epson America today introduced its most sophisticated 17-inch printer to date – the Epson Stylus® Pro 3880. Replacing its popular predecessor, the Epson Stylus Pro 3800, the compact printer features Epson UltraChrome K3® with Vivid Magenta ink technology and an advanced MicroPiezo® AMC™ print head to produce gallery quality color and black-and-white output up to 17” x 22”. Its innovative pigment ink set delivers an extremely wide color gamut with more dramatic blues and violets, while all-new AccuPhoto™ HD2 image technology provides smoother color transitions and better highlight and shadow detail.
“We continue to push the boundaries of professional printing with each new addition to Epson’s line of large format ink jet printers,” said Richard Day, product manager, Epson America. “The new Stylus Pro 3880 is no exception, enabling professionals to easily integrate a reliable, high-performing solution into their workflow. It brings together a host of technologies to provide photographers and graphic artists alike a powerful solution in one of the most compact sizes available.”
About the Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Designed to provide unparalleled print quality, performance, and professional media support, the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 features several innovative technologies and enhancements, including:
- UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta Ink: Professional eight-color ink set with new Vivid Magenta and Vivid Light Magenta provides more intense blues and violets for an expanded color gamut. Built on Epson’s heritage of professional ink technology, this pigment ink set offers instant color stability and exceptional print permanence ratings for color and black-and-white prints.
- AccuPhoto HD2 Image Technology: Created in collaboration with the Rochester Institute of Technology’s Munsell Color Science Laboratory, this complex mathematical architecture and advanced screening technology ensures precision placement of each individual ink droplet for smooth, grain-free images. This advanced technology optimizes ink usage to maximize the color gamut and provide smooth color transitions and gradations, and reduction of the metameric index makes it possible to achieve consistent color under different lighting conditions.
- MicroPiezo AMC Print Head: The eight-channel, high-precision print head produces a maximum resolution of 2880 x 1440 dpi and variable-sized droplets as small as 3.5 picoliters and places them with precision and accuracy. For decreased maintenance and increased reliability, the print head also incorporates an ink repellent coating.
- Advanced Black and White Photo Mode: Exclusive Epson screening provides intuitive and consistent control for stunning neutral or toned black-and-white prints. Professionals can choose from one of four pre-set modes – neutral, warm, cool, or sepia – and use custom slider bars and a color tone wheel for advanced control. In addition, customized settings can be saved and recalled to achieve consistent prints.
- Wide-Format Prints in Compact Design: Epson’s expertise in microminiaturization and professional printing technology allows this compact, professional printer to optimize working space while producing exhibition quality prints up to 17” x 22”.