Siletz Bay National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon
Brian D Smith
- Title: Siletz Bay National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: The Salishan
- Nearest Town: Lincoln City
- Brief Directions: From Lincoln City, drive south along US Highway 101 until you pass through the Siletz Bay Wildlife Refuge just beyond the bridge crossing the Siletz River. If you come to the Salishan Resort, you've gone too far. Park in a pull out on 101, or drive the perimeter road on the south edge until you find a decent place to park.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Siletz Bay NWR is along US Highway 101 just south of Lincoln City, Oregon. The area is a coastal wetland which borders the Siletz Bay and the Siletz River. While it is closed to the public, a photographer can hike the perimeter and photograph the canals, marshes, bordering forest, and wildlife. Be cautious not to intrude upon the private properties, though, and make sure to bring along waterproof boots as the ground is quite boggy. The bay gets its best light at sunset as the coastal mountains block the rising sun until late morning, but stormy weather provides what I believe to be the most drama.
- Gear: Canon EOS 1D Mark II. Gitzo 1227 tripod w/ 1377 ballhead, Singh-Ray Warm Circular Polarizer, cable release.
This Photo Has Been Viewed 579 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!