Olsburg Cattle Pond
Brian D Smith
- Title: Olsburg Cattle Pond
- State/Province/Region: Kansas
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Flint Hills Region
- Nearest Town: Olsburg
- Brief Directions: From Manhattan, Kansas take highway 13 north across Tuttle Creek Dam. Drive north about 25 miles to the intersection with highway 16. Turn left and drive the ten miles west to Olsburg. The Flint Hills is a huge area in northeastern Kansas, so any back roads should yield great images.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: The grasslands of the Flint Hills region are some of the few remaining tallgrass prairie lands left in close to their original state. This region has been grazing land for cattle and sheep since the days of the migration west, and every spring fires are set to help renew the prairie - just as they naturally occurred in the past. The region is covered in beautiful limestone formations, farmland, open prairie, and rivers and streams. Wildlife such as deer, coyote, numerous bird species, and even elk off the military base at Fort Riley can be photographed in this region. Summers are hot and humid, and winters are cold and windy, so spring and fall are the best times to be here. One more thing, the chiggers and mosquitoes are vicious so bring insect repellent and wear high boots to help reduce your suffering.
- Gear: Canon EOS 1D Mark II. Gitzo 1227 tripod w/ 1377 ballhead, Singh-Ray Warm Circular Polarizer, cable release.
This Photo Has Been Viewed 627 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!