- Title: Hammond Trestle
- State/Province/Region: West Virginia
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Hammond Brick Yards
- Nearest Town: Fairmont
- Brief Directions: At best, this is 3 mile hike in and out and it's a brutal climb back to civilization.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: The trestle pictured here supports an active railway predominantly used for hauling coal from the region. The location itself is a defunct brick manufacturing town known as Hammond, WV. The depicted roadway leads into the old brick factory area and 100's of thousands of old bricks can be found everywhere.
This photo was taken late afternoon a few days prior to Christmas 2008 just as the sun was about to dip under the horizon. This particular photo gets better as it gets larger and has a mesmerizing quality, like you want to pass through this dark gateway into the light and to the water. My printer goes to 13x19 but I still want it bigger.
- Gear: Nikon D80 with 18mm lens.
This Photo Has Been Viewed 800 times
, Black & White
, Sun & Sky
, Scenic Routes
, Historic Locations
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!