Spruce House, Mesa Verde National Park
- Title: Spruce House, Mesa Verde National Park
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Four Corners
- Nearest Town: Mancos
- Brief Directions: From Durango, take 160 West until you see signs for Mesa Verde. It is about 70 miles from Durango. To get a feel for the sophistication and magnitude of the dwellings, take the "Loop Road" to view the dwellings from afar and then begin to explore. The best is called "Cliff House!"
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Around 1200 AD, a group of Ntive American carved out ledges and caves from the sheer cliffs of what today is the Mesa Verde National Park. This particular dwelling is just part of "Spruce House" and was the only cliff dweling accessible to tourits in the winter. Note the sheer magnitude of the overhanging rock. Sometimes when I am having a depressive episode, I feel as if this pieve of rock is pressing down on my shoulders!
- Gear: Canon 30D with Canon 100-400 Telephoto Lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 367 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!