- Title: Inky Waters
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: South Tufa State Reserve
- Nearest Town: Lee Vining
- Brief Directions: Just south of Lee Vining on US 395 take the South Tufa exit and follow the road to the main parking lot.
- Description: Nestled at the edge of the arid Great Basin and the snowy Sierra Nevada mountains in California, Mono Lake is an ancient saline lake that covers over 70 square miles and supports a unique and productive ecosystem. The lake has no fish; instead it is home to trillions of brine shrimp and alkali flies. Freshwater streams feed Mono Lake, supporting lush riparian forests of cottonwood and willow along their banks. Along the lakeshore, scenic limestone formations known as tufa towers rise from the water's surface.
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II w/ EF17-40 f/4L, Tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 2027 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!