First Light On Cerro Torre, Patagonia
- Title: First Light On Cerro Torre, Patagonia
- Country: Argentina
- Nearest Area: Southern Patagonia
- Nearest Town: El Chalten, Argentina
- Brief Directions: Fly to el Calafate (in Argentina's southern Patagonia), take bus to el Chalten, hike from El Chalten to Laguna Torre's trekking camp (Camp Thorwood), get up before dawn and hike up Laguna Torre's lateral moraine in the dark, hoping that Cerro Torre makes one of its infrequent appearances and, better yet, is illuminated by first light. If really lucky, dark clouds will form a backdrop!
- GPS Longitude: -72.9885
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Cerro Torre is one of the world's most iconic peaks and guards the east side of the Patagonian icefield. "Roaring 40's" storms continually sweep in off the Pacific and plastered its summit and flanks with ice and snow. To get some sense of scale, the summit rime ice mushroom is over 600 feet high!
- Gear: Canon 1Ds, EF70-200mm f2.8L @ 70mm, Gitzo 1228 tripod, Arca Swiss B1 ballhead
This Photo Has Been Viewed 894 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!