Sea Arch, Big Sur Coast
- Title: Sea Arch, Big Sur Coast
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Monterey
- Nearest Town: Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Brief Directions: Off highway 1 just south of Carmel-by-the-sea near Soberanes Point in Garrapata State Park.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: I never get enough of the Big Sur coast in Central California; it’s just one of those amazing places where you can continue to make new photographs for a lifetime. Which is good for me because this is one of my favorite places in the world and one that I come back to many times a year, either for family get-aways or to teach photography workshops?
I was scouting locations before the start of one of workshops and decided to stop by my favorite sea arch at Soberanes point. The prior few days had been overcast but the cloud system had finally started breaking up and moving out of the area so I knew I had a chance to get some nice colorful clouds and some soft light on the north facing side of the arch.
As always I arrived well before sunset to scout the location and choose my favorite composition, after a number of different compositions I choose this as the one I would stick with and began the wait for the light to come along. I made a number of exposures both vertical and horizontal trying to capture different wave action against the arch and the coastline, making things extra difficult were the high winds that slightly shaking the tripod, making this one of the few sharp images from the evening
- Gear: Mamiya M645, 45mm lens, Circular Polarizing Filter, Coken 2-Stop Grand ND Filter, Manfrotto Tripod and Head, Fuji Velvia 100 Film
This Photo Has Been Viewed 328 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!