- Title: Lines And Light
- State/Province/Region: Nevada
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Stove Pipe Wells
- Nearest Town: Death Valley National Park
- Brief Directions: Located in central Death Valley near Stovepipe Wells, access is from Hwy. 190 or from the unpaved Sand Dunes Road. Although the highest dune rises only about 100 feet, the dunes actually cover a vast area.
- GPS Longitude: 117
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: In Death Valley, sand dunes are less common than might be expected. Five widely separated dune fields exist in the national park--yet they account for only a fraction of the total acreage. Sand is scattered throughout the desert, but in only a few places is it gathered by the interaction of wind and mountains to form dunes.
Winds blowing through Death Valley are slowed here at the Mesquite Dunes by the changing shape of the valley and towering Tucki Mountain
- Gear: 5DMK2 17-40L gitzo tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 348 times
, Sun & Sky
, Scenic Routes
, Natural Wonders
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!